Goto Topic: PreviousNext
Goto: Message ListNew TopicSearchLog InPrint View
Posted by: DRR ()
Date: May 27, 2008 10:10PM

My ATXG4 adapter has been running for close to 8 months, 24/7, in a Digital Audio 667 SATA fileserver. I bought the system for about $30 since the (stock) power supply was busted. And OEM power supplies for this system can go for $90+ on ebay.

If you're frugal, you can get a better power supply for your system and the ATX G4 adapter for your system, for half the cost.

My processor is stock but it has 1GB of RAM, an internal DVD-RW (not used much on a file server), a PATA 120GB boot drive, and 4x 320GB SATA disks connected by a firmtek pci card. (Not raided or JBOD) The system in its current configuration has been running since September 07. I use Apple Backup to backup my iphoto library to one of the disks every night. The other disks are used for downloads, and also for serving media (DVD iso) to my client macs, and to my tivos. I would estimate that about 10GB passes through that system daily; it's not a seldom used system.

I've been using the adapter with the Thermaltake PS that's recommended. There are larger power supplies for the money, and cheaper ones that are also about 430W, but the fact that this power supply has been tested with this adapter and with G4s was important to me. Its ability to provide consistent, clean power is one of the reasons I haven't had any problems with this machine. What's the point in buying an adapter to use an ATX power supply in your G4 if you cheap out on the power supply? It's one of the most important, and yet consistently underappreciated, components in a computer system.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Status: ATXG4 adapter in my DA
Posted by: DRR ()
Date: May 28, 2008 09:53PM

I should clarify, when I say 24/7 I mean aside from system updates which require restart. So 23.5/7.

Re: Status: ATXG4 adapter in my DA
Posted by: Blitterator ()
Date: August 08, 2008 12:21PM

I have had one running in my DA/533 MHz, upgraded with a 1.4 GHz Sonnet G4, the full 1.5 GB RAM, a FirmTek PCI SATA card, PCI USB 2.0 card, NetGear Gigabit Ethernet PCI card, ATTO Ultra SCSI card, and LeadTek A400GT 6800 AGP video card with two SATA drives, two PATA drives with the Thermaltake 430W as well. Had to buy a Pioneer DVR-115 since the Thermaltake wouldn't fit with the old clunker NEC I had in there.

Has been running smoothly as a local file server/media hub since December last year.

I would totally recommend this for anyone who wants to pimp out their old G4. The dual fans on the Thermaltake insure good air flow for cooling all your heavy metal and the huge number of power connectors makes it easy to provide power for a video card and all the drives your G4 can stomach in its belly (but you should spend a while making sure the cabling doesn't get all tangled up).

Totally agree with the first poster, a robust power supply is a must and the Thermaltake is priced just right; I can't think of anything else I could put in here that would really give more than 430W a run for its money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2008 12:24PM by Blitterator.

Goto: •Message ListSearchLog In
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.