Goto Topic: PreviousNext
Goto: Message ListNew TopicSearchLog InPrint View
Which Power Supply To Buy?
Posted by: MacG4User ()
Date: June 18, 2008 10:33PM

Hello,
I was wondering what would be the best Power Supply to buy for my Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet? Thanks!
Here are the components I have installed inside:

Sonnet Encore ST Duet (Dual G4 CPUs @ 1.8 Ghz)

2 GB Of RAM

Internal 120 GB Seagate HD (Main Drive)

Internal 200 GB Seagate HD (Secondary Drive)

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro with 128MB of VRAM

Generic PCI Slot Fan

Internal Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-110D

Ultra-Tek133P+ PCI Card

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which Power Supply To Buy?
Date: June 22, 2008 11:05AM

Well I went ahead and bought the adapter. I just need to do my research on getting the most compatible and appropriate power supply that I can use on my Mac. I'm open to any suggestions as to which power supply to get for my Mac. I'll give an update as to how it all works out.

Posted by: Donald Hall ()
Date: June 26, 2008 12:28AM

I'm sorry about the delayed response, I've been very busy lately.

Anyway, here's a quick guide to power supply selection for G4s:

G4s have two different styles of case plastics on the back. One style has room for two AC power connections (B&W's,Sawtooths,Gigabit Ethernet, and some early Digital Audios), the other has room for only one and can be more difficult to find power supplies for (Most Digital Audio and all Quicksilvers).

With the two connection plastic, you can use any standard ATX power supply, with a common 'layout'.
Something like this: [www.newegg.com]

If you have the rear plastics with a single port, you'll need to buy a power supply with a 'reverse' layout like this one:
[www.newegg.com]

Or, you can remove the rear plastic from the casing to use a standard ATX power supply.

The Thermaltake above happens to be my preferred power supply choice for use with ATXG4 adapters. There is one drawback to it, though. It is about 1/2 inch longer than normal power supplies, which puts it very tightly against the optical drive if you have an older, deep drive. If you have a shallow drive, it will fit perfectly.

I'm hoping to get some spare time to make a much more detailed write-up about power supply selection soon. The short answer though is that if it looks 'weird' you should probably avoid it. If the power connector is in the middle, or there's a switch somewhere odd, ect, it probably won't fit very easily. If things look like they're in the right spot, you should be good, with the worst case being that you need to remove the plastic from the back of the case.

Posted by: DLMacHead ()
Date: November 11, 2008 12:49PM

I'm curious, which Power Supply did you end up with? I'm needing to upgrade my G4 (AGP graphics) as well.

MacG4User Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well I went ahead and bought the adapter. I just
> need to do my research on getting the most
> compatible and appropriate power supply that I can
> use on my Mac. I'm open to any suggestions as to
> which power supply to get for my Mac. I'll give an
> update as to how it all works out.

Posted by: chemistrange ()
Date: November 13, 2008 08:04PM

I installed this power supply (Product Number 500WPS24) on my Sawtooth.
[www.atxpowersupplies.com]
The ATX PSU I received had only one power input and one power switch & NOT as pictured in this link. The dimensions is almost perfect and most of all, IT WORKS! Please read the store policy carefully before you order.

I also have on order, 2 Thermaltake TR2 430W PSUs which is currently on sale at:

[www.radioshack.com]

It will cost $21 after rebate. I'll post an update as soon as possible. I would like to extend my thanks to Donald for helping me out on my first try on installing ATXonG4s. His adapters are excellent! Don't hesitate to use 'em!

Date: November 16, 2008 09:33PM

I ended up getting a Antec Earthwatts 430 power supply for my Mac with a $30 rebate (finally got it in October!) It's been almost five months already and it still works rock solid! My configuration has changed slightly since I got it.
I replaced my 200 GB drive with a 500 GB SATA drive connected to the SIIG SATA PCI Card installed.
I installed a USB 2.0 / Firewire 800 PCI card by SIIG
I took out my ATI RADEON 9700 card's fan and replaced it with a Vantec Iceberq Cooler (This takes an extra PCI slot).
I took out the Sonnet Ultra-Tek133P+ PCI Card.
I took out the original internal case fan and replaced it with a dual case fan from welovemacs.com.
I installed a generic hard drive fan on my internal 120GB boot drive
I installed a generic exhaust fan that goes underneath my Pioneer DVD drive.
My 200GB drive is now in a generic external aluminum enclosure that can be connected with either a USB 2.0 or Firewire 400 cable.

I plan to install another 500GB SATA drive soon.

DLMacHead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm curious, which Power Supply did you end up
> with? I'm needing to upgrade my G4 (AGP graphics)
> as well.

> > which power supply to get for my Mac. I'll give
> an
> > update as to how it all works out.

Date: November 16, 2008 10:17PM

My Sawtooth has a problem with the Sonnet Tempo SATA card installed. It shuts down whenever I start it up in Target Disk Mode (TDM)....you know starting it up & pressing the letter "T" key. Have you tried it on yours without any problem? I routinely transfer backup files from my iMac-Intel to my Sawtooth that's why I use TDM. Now, I have to startup my iMac instead of my Sawtooth because of the SATA hardware incompatibility with TDM. Please let me know 'coz this is the main reason why I changed my power supply with a 500-watt ATX, thinking that my stock PSU didn't have enough power for power-hungry cards like my ATI Radeon 9800 and a Sonnet IGHz processor & a USB card. The are lots of positive things with the ATX though; the hardware noise of my machine has significantly become quiet & lately, I observed that the screen display has changed from sort of faded to a vivid one.

Thanks for your input.

Date: December 11, 2008 10:29PM

My SIIG SATA card is only used to connect internal SATA drives inside my Mac. Sorry I can't help you with your problem. Have You considered using the firewire plug? I know it is not as fast as SATA, but it works when using TDM.

Date: December 12, 2008 01:36AM

Of course, I use the firewire plugs for the TDM but with the SATA card installed, my Sawtooth just shuts down shortly after the initial TDM procedure. Thanks.

Goto: •Message ListSearchLog In
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.