Goto Topic: PreviousNext
Goto: Message ListNew TopicSearchLog InPrint View
Success with G4 Ethernet and Antec Power Supply!
Posted by: MacG4User ()
Date: July 05, 2008 02:46PM

I've just installed a Antec 430 Watt ATX 12v v2.2 Earthwatts power supply in my Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet with success!

My configuration is as follows:

Sonnet Encore ST Duet (Dual G4 CPUs @ 1.8 Ghz)
2 GB Of RAM
Internal 120 GB Seagate HD (Main Boot Drive)
Internal 200 GB Seagate HD (Secondary Drive)
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro with 128MB of VRAM
Generic PCI Slot Fan
Internal Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-110D
Sonnet Ultra-Tek133P+ PCI Card

It took me about 2 hours since this was my first time installing a power supply. The results are astonishing! There is no more buzzing and tornado noises coming from my G4! The conversion cable was a big life and money saver! Thank You so very much Donald Hall! Every G4 owner should buy his cables!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Success with G4 Ethernet and Antec Power Supply!
Date: July 05, 2008 03:43PM

A few things: Going into sleep mode makes my Mac make a low long beep noise and then it eventually stops after a few seconds then it makes a low buzzing noise, almost like a little fly. The attached cable to connect the original Mac's case fan works, but when I tried to connect my internal Pioneer DVD-RW drive to it, there was no power or not enough for my DVD drive to turn on so I had to experiment with the other cables supplied with the Antec power supply to make it work. After that, I tried to use the web browser Camino, it froze and wouldn't quit(not even forcing it to quit in Activity Monitor would work), so I just restarted by using the small triangle button. The Mac restarted, but got stuck on the gray screen with the Apple logo and the little animated circle "gears". I think this may have been a result of putting my Mac to sleep, so I will make sure that I don't put it to sleep anymore. That is no problem since I don't that very often. I also reconnected my DVD-RW drive and the generic PCI fan to another free cable. So far it is still working as I'm writing this.

Posted by: Donald Hall ()
Date: July 05, 2008 03:58PM

ATX Power Supplies seem to vary a lot when it comes to the 5v trickle power provided when the power supply is in standby/off. There's also a slight voltage drop in the line because of the diodes I use to prevent 12v from feeding back up the trickle line when the power supply in on. It's also possible that some of your upgrades are drawing more power than provided during the transition to sleep, which causes issues with data stored in RAM.

Thank you for posting the update about your configuration. This way users can know what to expect when using that power supply in a similar configuration. So far, there have been very few issues with systems that have been set to not sleep, so hopefully that will take care of any instabilities you experienced.

If you can, please post a followup after using the system for a few days/weeks to let people know how things worked out.

Date: July 05, 2008 04:16PM

Ha Ha the reason why Camino froze was because the case fan connected to the connector you provided with the conversion cable wasn't actually connected directly to the power supply. As a result, the computer over heats and freezes after a couple minutes of internet activity. Now that I made sure that cable is getting power to the case fan, Camino isn't freezing any more. One little foul-up can make a big difference! I will give an update in August and let you and anyone else know how my Mac is doing. Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2008 04:18PM by MacG4User.

Update!
Date: August 09, 2008 03:49PM

Well it's been a month already and I still have my atx power supply running like a charm. No problems what so ever! Thanks!

Date: November 16, 2008 09:53PM

Slightly modified internals:

Sonnet Encore ST Duet (Dual G4 CPUs @ 1.8 Ghz)
2 GB Of RAM
Internal 120 GB Western Digital HD (Main Boot Drive)
Internal 500 GB Hitachi SATA HD (Secondary Drive)
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro with 128MB of VRAM
Vantec Iceberq Video Card Cooler
Internal Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-110D
SIIG SATA PCI Controller Card
SIIG USB 2.0 / Firewire 400 PCI Card
Generic HD Fan Cooler
Generic Heat Exaust Fan

Still running smoothly after 5 months!

Goto: •Message ListSearchLog In
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.