Goto Topic: PreviousNext
Goto: Message ListNew TopicSearchLog InPrint View
About ATXG4
Posted by: Donald Hall ()
Date: May 04, 2008 09:20PM

I've been working on this project in my free time for around 2 years now. In that time, I've built up three types of adapters and have shipped to around 100 people. I always try to make sure the adapters are of the highest quality an individual can produce. I can't afford the best machinery, but you'll never find a stray wire or open splice on my adapters.

I do my own testing, along with take in user feedback. So far, I've never heard any complaints about adapter failure. There are, of course, drawbacks to using an ATX power supply with your G4, and here they are:

Type 1: B&W G3, Yikes G4, and Sawtooth G4
With these systems, the ATX power supplies are almost identical to the stock power supply. However, you need to be sure you get a power supply that is laid out in a similar configuration to the stock power supply so that it will fit.

Type 2: Gigabit Ethernet and Digital Audio G4s
These systems have a stock power supply that supplies 28v to many key systems. Those systems include ADC monitor power, Firewire bus power, USB power, and system memory. With the exception of ADC power, all of these systems can be run off 12v or less. My adapters DO NOT support ADC power.

My adapters supply 12v to these systems while the computer is on and 5v when the computer is asleep, which is enough to keep the system memory active. If you use a low end power supply, the 5v power when asleep may not be sufficient and you may experience problems going into or coming out of deep sleep. There have also been two reports of users with Apple Firmware Maxtor hard drives on the IDE bus having HD failures after connecting a Firewire device. I've tried to recreate this twice without problems, but still, it's something to be aware of.

You need to choose your power supply carefully for the later model Digital Audio systems as they usually only have a single AC power opening at the rear of the computer. I recommend the Thermaltake TR2 430W power supply as it matches well, but it is a bit long so it may be a tight fit. If you opt for a standard ATX power supply, you may need to remove/modify the rear case plastics in order to connect the power cord. ATX 2.0 or higher spec power supplies may require further modification to your case.

Type 3: Quicksilver G4s
This adapter is extremely similar to the Type 2 adapter, so all the same warnings apply. In addition, this adapter include an extra 12v lead for video card power as well as a 12v reverse P4 connector for additional CPU power. This extra adapter is essential to powering your system and is extremely similar to the PC standard P4 connector, but with its polarity reversed. If you connect the ATX Power Supply's P4 connector instead of the one I include, your power supply, logic board, and processor are all at risk for shorting out.

I intend to update this information as my schedule permits, but please feel free to send me questions you think should be added.

Lastly, I do not ship outside the USA as I don't have time to fill out customs forms. For orders within the states, I usually ship the next day after receiving payment.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: About ATXG4
Posted by: robleland ()
Date: April 03, 2009 10:17PM

I have some sort of Powermac, can't be too powerful, cause the powersupply is only 126 w according to the case. It is a n acbell api-9841-291

i tried to buy one on ebay, and it went over $75. i would like to buy an adapter for a standard pc P.S. I'd buy one at Fry's electronics in CA. any advice about the PS to buy, and adapter, would be good

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote

Goto: •Message ListSearchLog In
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.