Goto Topic: PreviousNext
Goto: Message ListNew TopicSearchLog InPrint View
quicksilver question
Posted by: accorn ()
Date: November 16, 2008 10:58PM

Hi - On the "which power supply to buy" thread this psu was recommended for the quicksilver powermac:
[www.newegg.com]

I've ordered it but had a question.
I see there is a on/off switch on the psu.
It seems to me that switch would be bumping into the plastic casing on the rear of the quicksilver (there is an open hole where the plug would go but to the right of that hole is the plastic casing.)
Here is a picture of the back of the quicksilver so you can see what I mean:
[www.webfusion.net.nz]

So my question is, what do you guys do to make the on/off switch fit, do you cut a hole into the plastic or does it fit better than I think?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: quicksilver question
Date: November 16, 2008 11:44PM

Also - In the drawback list it says "ADC Power will be disabled.". So does this mean if you have a video card that has both a VGA port and an ADC port, that the vga port will still work but the ADC will no longer?
Or do you need a video card that only has VGA, since any video card that includes ADC will completely stop working?

Posted by: bam1234567 ()
Date: November 27, 2008 03:16PM

Yes, you will have to cut a hole in the quicksilver, to my knowledge anyways. Inform us how it works out, though. Correct, ADC will not work, but VGA still will. (In other words yes, your current video card's VGA port will work, but the ADC will be rendered useless.)
~Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2008 03:17PM by bam1234567.

Date: December 04, 2008 03:23AM

bam1234567,

The psu fit perfect in the quicksilver case without modifications. There is a slight space in the back naturally on the original psu, enough for the switch to sit in there - so no need to cut any holes.
The adapter is working great!
Only issue is sleep, but I expected that.

I have quit the frankenmac now smiling smiley.. It's a digitial audio logic board and cpu, in a quicksilver case, with a PC power supply smiling smiley.. and you can't even tell really that it's not a factory built mac.

Date: December 04, 2008 03:25AM

Also, the recommended psu seems much more silent than the previous monster I had. A nice perk as well.

Goto: •Message ListSearchLog In
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.