Goto Topic: PreviousNext
Goto: Message ListNew TopicSearchLog InPrint View
Gigabit Success!
Posted by: Rockin' Kat ()
Date: June 03, 2012 11:56PM

Hrmm.. I had an account here but it appears it got pruned along with a lot of the spam crap here...

I now have a very very nice Platinum rated 650Watt Antec ATX power supply in my G4 tower which also happens to have a Sonnet Duet Dual G4/1.8Ghz processor card and 2GB of RAM... now the next step over the next few months will be to aquire some hard drives to go with the SATA controllers I've got in it... and to put in a little 90GB SSD for boot drive...

I did it a little different than instructed as far as where I got parts though. I did not buy an ATX 20pin to 24 pin adapter, instead opting to buy an ATX cable-end socket with crimping sockets and install it at the PS end of the mobo cable I cut off my old power supply. Worked quite nicely... though I think I should have probably made it a bit shorter, but whatever, IT WORKS! and nicely too..

Since I went with a power supply which had a different fan/vent arrangement, I had to dremel out the back of the case for the vent and power sockets... and drill new mounting holes in the back of the case to flip the power supply around so it's fan wouldn't be against the side of the case... The plastic has a tendancy to melt while dremeling so I had to stop and start a lot so it would cut... had to file the edges... drilling the holes was relatively easy outside of the trouble of making sure to get the holes aligned properly...

The power supply I chose is deisgned to run efficiently even on no-load so it is a great choice for this since that means that it can maintain reliable enough voltage for sleep mode. I have put the machine in sleep mode for hours without any issue so far. It was also the highest wattage supply I could find that that had the same dimentions as the original power supply so I could be sure it wouldn't be too hard to fit into the case.[www.newegg.com]

I only found one vendor selling the connectors needed to make the cable I wanted and they had a $20 S/H fee ontop of shipping along with a minimum 10 housing/ minimum 100 socket (each individual wire end connector) So I ordered 10 and I also ordered 20 of the diodes... I got 20 pin housings... if I did it again I'd get 24 pin housings since most modern ATX power supplies have 24 pin connectors and it would have looked like less of a cludge that way(not to mention, you'd have enough 12volt and 3.3volt connections that there would be no worry about getting connections near empty connections or splitting them into two...

I ordered them from Newark:

20-pin housing:
[www.newark.com]

24-pin housing(I'd suggest ordering this one instead):
[www.newark.com]

Crimping sockets(They're ordered separate, you'll be kicking yourself if you have to pay shipping twice because you didn't order these with the housings like I did! They come from a wharehouse in the UK so it's spendy if you're in the US.):
[www.newark.com]

Diodes:
[www.newark.com]

You could probably look on there and find the parts for the G4 mobo end, but really, it's cheaper to just cut the mobo cable off the old power supply and use that instead, considering you'd be hard pressed to find the wire in anything but a rediculous amount longer than you need.

I have enough of these parts for 9 more cables to be made given the mobo cables for 9 old Power supplies. I don't know that I'm really up to making cables for others... but I would be ok with selling off the remaining parts if you don't want to have to drop down so much money at once on parts... An appropriate crimper can be had at a decent electronics shop for about $10.

If you're intersted in buying the spare parts from me, you can drop me a PM, but I would advise you to send said PM through a different forum where I'd actually hear about it... what with this forum being kind of abandoned I don't really want to be getting emails about junk PMs from spam bots that register and post garbage... I go by this same username over at [www.mac-forums.com]

-Rockin' Kat

^_^

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gigabit Success!
Date: June 04, 2012 12:46AM

Also, I'd really like to state that I very much appreciate that the information on this site is kept up and available... as without this website I probably wouldn't have dared to try this as there doesn't really seem to be anything else as nicely detailed as this..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2012 12:48AM by Rockin' Kat.

Date: June 05, 2012 03:34PM

"I only found one vendor..." and by that I mean the fine people on IRC who I went to because I suck at shopping for electronics online.

Posted by: Donald Hall ()
Date: July 13, 2012 03:22PM

Thanks for posting your experiences. The items you purchased can also be bought (in lower quantity) at Mouser.com though their website is a bit more intimidating. That's where I buy many of my parts.

I'm curious, how long would you say your modification took? Stability or any notable problems?

I stopped maintaining the website after having several problems with ebay buyers and paypal. I've been working for the last month to clean out all the spam from the forum and update a few things. I'm sorry your account was lost, I had to delete nearly 18 thousand spam accounts (seriously) and it must've been hit by accident.

Date: July 13, 2012 07:57PM

That's pretty nasty amount of spam to have to deal with.

I need to run it more to be sure of issues.. I should say that the computer was having an issue where the IDE hard drive started to flake out... I switched the computer over to booting off a SATA controller.

I don't know for sure that this is related though. I'm currently in the midst of redoing the lab/game room. I'll be running it a lot later this summer. I intend to stream a web cam off it among other things.

Date: July 17, 2012 12:54AM

Donald Hall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for posting your experiences. The items you
> purchased can also be bought (in lower quantity)
> at Mouser.com though their website is a bit more
> intimidating. That's where I buy many of my
> parts.
>
> I'm curious, how long would you say your
> modification took? Stability or any notable
> problems?
>
>

To answer the question on time... the modification didn't take too long considering. I made the cable, which took maybe 15 minutes or so really... the main part was the case...

I had to collect up some antistatic bags to put all the important pieces from the computer in since when milling a computer case it's a good call for avoiding having some little bit of metal getting stuck somewhere... I'd say taking it apart probably took about 10 minutes.... dremeling out the case was easily almost an hour... and then putting it back together took about 10-20 minutes while I mucked about.

I spent a good bit of time drilling the holes... what would be really handy is some kind of overlay to map the holes... I had to muck about and drilled one of the holes wrong in the process...but I got it right in the end... also... the plastic would get caught up on the drill bit and jump up the bit... fortunately it takes an amazing amount of torquing without getting bent or kicked and went right back to flat just fine.

Goto: •Message ListSearchLog In
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.