Gigabit Success!
Posted by: Rockin' Kat ()
Date: June 03, 2012 11:56PM

Re: Gigabit Success!
Date: June 04, 2012 12:46AM

Also, I'd really like to state that I very much appreciate that the information on this site is kept up and available... as without this website I probably wouldn't have dared to try this as there doesn't really seem to be anything else as nicely detailed as this..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2012 12:48AM by Rockin' Kat.

Date: June 05, 2012 03:34PM

"I only found one vendor..." and by that I mean the fine people on IRC who I went to because I suck at shopping for electronics online.

Posted by: Donald Hall ()
Date: July 13, 2012 03:22PM

Thanks for posting your experiences. The items you purchased can also be bought (in lower quantity) at Mouser.com though their website is a bit more intimidating. That's where I buy many of my parts.

I'm curious, how long would you say your modification took? Stability or any notable problems?

I stopped maintaining the website after having several problems with ebay buyers and paypal. I've been working for the last month to clean out all the spam from the forum and update a few things. I'm sorry your account was lost, I had to delete nearly 18 thousand spam accounts (seriously) and it must've been hit by accident.

Date: July 13, 2012 07:57PM

That's pretty nasty amount of spam to have to deal with.

I need to run it more to be sure of issues.. I should say that the computer was having an issue where the IDE hard drive started to flake out... I switched the computer over to booting off a SATA controller.

I don't know for sure that this is related though. I'm currently in the midst of redoing the lab/game room. I'll be running it a lot later this summer. I intend to stream a web cam off it among other things.

Date: July 17, 2012 12:54AM

Donald Hall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for posting your experiences. The items you
> purchased can also be bought (in lower quantity)
> at Mouser.com though their website is a bit more
> intimidating. That's where I buy many of my
> parts.
>
> I'm curious, how long would you say your
> modification took? Stability or any notable
> problems?
>
>

To answer the question on time... the modification didn't take too long considering. I made the cable, which took maybe 15 minutes or so really... the main part was the case...

I had to collect up some antistatic bags to put all the important pieces from the computer in since when milling a computer case it's a good call for avoiding having some little bit of metal getting stuck somewhere... I'd say taking it apart probably took about 10 minutes.... dremeling out the case was easily almost an hour... and then putting it back together took about 10-20 minutes while I mucked about.

I spent a good bit of time drilling the holes... what would be really handy is some kind of overlay to map the holes... I had to muck about and drilled one of the holes wrong in the process...but I got it right in the end... also... the plastic would get caught up on the drill bit and jump up the bit... fortunately it takes an amazing amount of torquing without getting bent or kicked and went right back to flat just fine.

Goto: •Message ListSearchLog In
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.