ATXG4 adapters for Mirror Drive Door G4s
Posted by: Donald Hall ()
Date: May 27, 2008 01:28PM

I recently had a user approach me to have an adapter built for a Mirror Drive Door G4 system. I hadn't previously offered such an adapter due to the unique design of the MDD systems which makes installing an ATX power supply rather difficult.

He provided me with this link: [efeion.blogspot.com] After a bit of coaxing, I decided it would be worth a shot to build the adapter to see how it goes. Using the Apple tech manuals and a few spare cables I had on-hand, I put together an adapter for his MDD G4, which he has reported works great.

If anyone is brave enough to try to install an ATX Power Supply in their Mirror Drive Door G4, I can build an adapter for you. The cost would be $25 plus shipping ($2 via First Class, $5 via Priority Mail, within the US). There may be a short lead-time while your adapter is built. If I receive a bit of interest in these adapters, I'll give them their own section and start keeping adapters built and ready to go out.

Re: ATXG4 adapters for Mirror Drive Door G4s
Posted by: efeion ()
Date: July 30, 2008 02:14PM

I am happy to see that that my findings from that project where of some use to someone.

Date: September 17, 2008 12:19AM

Just a bit of an update about MDD adapters..

I've been working with a buyer to get some more detailed instructions and experiences for installing an adapter. He's experienced several setbacks that we had been trying to work out, but has provided very good feedback about the design and installation process.

I've ordered two MDD systems off ebay, one of which was purchase nearly 3 weeks ago, in hopes of using them as test machines so I can do in house testing and better advice about power supply placement, ect. Unfortunately, the first MDD delivered was unboxed to reveal a G4 450 Sawtooth. I'm not exactly happy about this and am trying to get it replaced.

I have also been kept very busy with other aspects of life and am having a lot of unexpected events pop up to pull me away from this.

Since I keep having delays, I've held off responding to e-mails in the hopes that just another day or two would be enough to get a solid bit of helpful info and a better understanding of what work is involved. After several weeks of this, I feel I needed to post an update to let anyone interested know what was going on. I really don't like selling a product that I haven't even used, so I'm going to hold off on sales until one of my MDD's is delivered.

In the meantime, I have been working on an update to the site to give more information, add a MDD page and install instructions for the other adapters, provide more information about power supply selection, and whatever else I can come up with. I've also been working on building MDD adapters so that when I do get things sorted out, there will be several ready to ship immediately. I'm not sure how long it will take to finish everything, but I am working on it whenever I have the spare time.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 24, 2008 09:21PM

i'm really interested in the adapter for the MDD, i have had the same power supply problems that everyone has had with this unit... if you test it and it works, please email me so i can order one from you....

Thank You in advance.....

Posted by: seqteq ()
Date: September 24, 2008 10:34PM

I want one. Subscribed.

Date: October 04, 2008 10:29PM

I'm still having trouble deciding if this is worth going forward on. Although I have had several systems work successfully with ATX Power (even a well decked out dual 1.42), it is difficult to install and seems somewhat impractical. The shape/size of an ATX power supply requires custom mounting which obstructs the rear of the PCI slots, meaning you would need to use 5" cards at longest and need to come up with the mounting in order to allow the AGP card clearance when shutting the case..

Another difficulty is the cable routing. The best way to run the wiring is through the same path Apple uses. Of course, when you use an extension/adapter to allow the use of an ATX power supply, it adds bulky connectors to the mix, and the cable doesn't flex just as Apple's had. In my test systems, I've resorted to removing the front hard drive cage to allow the power connections a bit of room. Of course, most MDD owners wouldn't be willing to do this since they would lose those two HD bays.

So far, I've had at least 20 users request MDD adapters, which is why I'm testing the option. I'm just not sure it's practical for the average user.

Date: October 07, 2008 06:22AM

I still think that this project will work, please don't give up, many of us who love our MDD need the adapters that you make,, I'm going to work on a idea, to see if that will help with the mounting of the ps with an extension to the rear of the case for the power cord to hookup as normal, just an idea thats been running around in my head...

Posted by: Mordo ()
Date: October 13, 2008 02:59AM

Practically be darned! I'd buy one to avoid paying $200+ for a replacement power supply!

Date: October 29, 2008 11:15AM

I came across this thin power supply that probably would fit in the exact location were the original mdd power supply fits,, tell me what you think..

[www.in-win.us]

As for the regular atx power supply, I realize that if it is mounted toward the front of the case then it will leave an opening in the back of the case for the power cord. I was working on was a simple solution for this by taking an old power supply cord cut it to the length needed to reach the back of the case from the mounted power supply. Keeping the end of the cord that hooks into the power supply and removing the other end and replace it with an old power supply plug in socket. Once the socket has been soldered to the cord and wrapped, it can then be mounted to the old socket opening at the back of the case. This is what I'm working on,,,, Tell me what you think...

I really would like to just go ahead and order one from you, so can you please email me to let me know if you'll build it for me, or if the adapter for the Gigabit/DA are the same for the MDD,, I'm thinking they are,, Thank You in advance...

Date: January 09, 2009 11:01PM

The Beta MDD Adapters have sold out. It was a very limited run, but I've learned a bit from them and have had minimal complaints. The most common problem was, of course, that the adapter was short, stubby, and the MDD case was sharp and not very accommodating. This was expected, but I didn't want to spend a lot to build adapters only to find out they may not be a practical long-term solution. So far, I haven't heard of any major problems and my main test system has been in daily use for a few months now without a problem.

I've just recently purchased $75 worth of heatshrink, $110 worth of wiring harnesses, $50 worth of AC jacks and cords, plus a few other odds and ends toward new adapters. The above is enough to make 20 adapters, so you can probably see why I did the beta program first, these things are going to be a bit more expensive to make.

The plan is that the new adapters will run most of the route of the original Apple wiring harness. The cables will have to be bent and well protected to survive the perilous path, full of tight turns and sharp edges.. but in the end, the adapters should be easier to install, make it possible to use the front drive bays without risk, not require any additional extensions, and leave an ATX connector right behind where the large fan goes so it should be easy to connect the new power supply.

I imagine that in order to complete that task, I'm going to need a while to experiment as well as a need to build a 'jig' to help fit the cabling for the bending/shaping/protecting phase.

When all is said and done, with all the work plus increased cost, I expect the adapters will be somewhere around $40, give or take $5, depending on how many times I accidentally cut myself while working on them.

I'm also hoping to offer an AC power extension option, a metal plate which can be screwed into the back of the case with an AC jack and cable to run to the ATX power supply. This way your MDD will look entirely stock from the rear and won't need a power cord to hang out through a hole in the back. This option will probably be around $15, give or take $5, though it will depend heavily on finding someone to machine the metal for me.

Posted by: BoyBlue2002 ()
Date: April 16, 2009 12:35AM

I too am in need of a MDD p/s replacement, and no, $200 is not acceptable for a Mac over 6 years old, especially when newer Intel macs are running under $650!
I would love to get my old MDD up and buzzing again - please let me know when you're supply of converter units is available and I'll join the line for one.
Many thanks and don't stop the good work - G4 PowerMac users are in need of your skills!

Posted by: tunamac ()
Date: May 08, 2009 11:38PM

Just found this forum because of a PSU failure and am very interested in this.
Would anyone else consider an external PSU, an internal harness and a couple of multipin connectors on the outside of the case to hook up? I know I would, and it would remove all the heat from the PSU from the case. This would even allow for a nice BIG high CFM low velocity fan to take it's place which would be great.

Posted by: pwramirez ()
Date: January 21, 2010 03:02AM

It seems it's been ages since anyone's posted. I just found someone that listed a mod on eBay. Wondering how the project is going as I really don't want to give my MDD.

Thanks!

Goto: •Message ListSearchLog In
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.